STEP 1 – A CLEAN LIP
When doing a red lip, it’s very important that the lips are well hydrated and not cracked. That’s where exfoliation comes in. You can do it with a gentle sponge or a soft toothbrush and a bit of lip balm, or create your own exfoliating mix with honey and sugar. Apply lip balm on the lips and leave it for about 10 minutes, making sure that it’s completely absorbed before moving forward. If you’re not the patient type, you can take that time to focus on the rest of your makeup.
With a bit of concealer, prime the lips and make sure to conceal any red spots around the mouth and nose area. Now dab a bit of translucent powder to set the base. Ready? Okay, let’s move on!
STEP 2 – MARKING THE TERRITORY
Start by placing tiny dots on the outer lip line as it will make it much easier to connect into a flawless outer line. After connecting the dots, fill in the whole lip with lip liner. This is going to help make it last all night. Our make-up artist used MAC Cherry lip liner, recommending it as it suits many skin types.
STEP 3 – FILL IN THE LINES
If you have a lip brush, you can use it for applying lipstick over the lip liner. It is actually very beneficial to use such a tool, because the brush presses the lipstick onto the lips, making it last longer — so just go ahead and fill in over the lip liner. Once you are done, gently dab the lips once over with a tissue, then apply a second layer of lipstick. And if it sounds like you’re caking up with all the layers, just blow those thoughts away like kisses. This is pure science, so if you want your perfect pout to last all night, you have to be willing to put in that extra effort (i.e. layer, lady, layer).
Steady hands fail us not! Otherwise, correct the shape with a stroke of concealer and lip liner.MAKEUP ARTIST BONUS TIPS
- For those who fear a strong red lip because it would make you look pale, just add blush to your cheeks
- As an alternative to the bold red lip, take a bit of Vaseline or other lip balm and mix it with red lipstick for a softer look
- Highlight Cupid’s bow (the arch) to make the upper lip pop even more
- For extra hold, apply a thin layer of translucent powder. Last layer, we promise!
Lipstick recommendations according to different skin tones
- Medium/olive skin tones: MAC Lady Danger, Giorgio Armani Rouge d’Armani
- Fair/cold skin tones: MAC Ruby Woo, Tom Ford Cherry Lush, Lancôme Rubis Exquis 182
- Neutral red lipsticks: Maybelline Fatal Red, MAC Russian Red
Thank you to…
Model – Line Kjærgaard
Make up artist – Margrethe Yasmin Kristiansen
Agency – Le Management